Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Dianne Feinstein

I have always been a rare bird when it comes to television, but the events of 30 years ago in San Francisco with the tragic shootings kept me watching my little screen.  An announcement was about to be made, a woman appeared, spoke so movingly about what had happened. I was looking and looking at her face, listening to her voice, trying to understand why she looked so familiar. It was not anything recent, it was in the past.

It took a day to sort it out.  

I attended a Catholic convent school for 10 years in Eureka, California. the last year some of us were selected to travel to San Francisco for a big Catholic school conference (my selection was interesting because I was one of 2 in the whole school, not a Catholic.) Part of our activities was a visit to Sacred Heart Convent school on Broadway.  We were ushered in, then up stairs to sit in, late, on a school production, all done in costumes. As we sat down in the dark, a young woman in blue satin breeches and delivering an impassioned speech. She was riveting!  I think I sat there and memorized her face because, years later on the television screen, it was one and the same person, Dianne Goldman Feinstein.

I did have occasion when she was mayor to tell her this story.

No comments: