Monday, November 24, 2008

Behind The Scenes at the Wedding

 Friend, Sherial, hosted the wedding reception and dinner in her penthouse for her niece, Rachel. Just about all of her family from Mississippi came for the wedding events.

Godson, Mark, the groom, also had all of his family there. It took me about 3 days to sort everyone out, since children were grown up, babies born, new spouses, etc.,  but here is the best part:

 When Sherial was just getting out of high school in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, she set her sights on California and The Larger World, and convinced her father to sell a cow to finance her trip to California and enrollment to San Diego State. Aunt Ruby lived there and Sherial would be able to stay with her. This was %$4^&@# years ago; Sherial went on to become a flight attendant, travel the world, settling finally in San Francisco. She found her true calling in real estate. I think we have been friends for about 25 years.

Last night, the 3rd night of festivities, I was still catching up with the relatives, sitting in the kitchen talking to the bride’s sister and her great aunt.

It was one little remark that led to a great revelation: I was sitting and talking to Aunt Ruby! A grand lady!


 -Day of the wedding while delivering the cake to the penthouse, one of Sherial’s sisters said, “Ah do believe ah’m havin’ a meltdown.” I told her that I had a very good friend in my Los Angeles days who came from Meridian, Mississippi, and was very fond of frequently telling me,”Miss Di-hann, Ah’m havin’ another sinkin’ spell.”  Laughter all around.

No comments: