Monday, October 15, 2012

Dairy Queen For a Day

In my kitchen kingdom most dairy products are there to be used in specific baking recipes. Events of the day and one's time does intrude on some plans. Here I was this week with extra whole milk and Half and Half, and determined to use it before it went "off." Sauces and soups were written off because of poor freezing capabilities.....no puddings or soufflés for just myself in the house, and so I turned to my silent servants for answers. They were very happy to leave their bookcase houses and be strewn happily on the table and floor and handled with loving care.

This is an activity I really love. With a hot cup of coffee at hand, sun streaming through the window, and the morning to do as I please, going through my cookbooks is pure pleasure. Occasionally ShahayCat is perched quite close on the arm of the chair though his new place is a narrow basket.

I looked up everything  could find on Ice Cream, the most probable thing to make, keeping in mind the heated discussions I have had with a doctor friend who specializes in ice cream but decries sugar, eggs and cream. (What kind of ice cream is t h a t?)

My answers came from Deborah Madison's "Local Flavors," with Honey Ice Cream - milk, sugar, egg yolks, light cream.  Done.  Delicious.

Next,  a discovery in a very old book for Blueberry Ice Cream. Very straightforward with a puree of cooked blueberries with sugar, and light cream. What, no blueberries? Not to worry with a big stash of blackberries in the freezer. Midway through the ice cream maker process I stepped off the kitchen curb again, and plopped more whole blackberries in, then juicy chunks of banana. (Once I made a really remarkable jam with things on hand that I called AAMB Jam - Apple, apricot, mango, banana.)


It is easy to get in a panic when you want to make a recipe and find you are lacking an ingredient or two......it is easier to just think of something else to use and create your own glorious new food.  The more you cook, the more you will discover how rewarding this is.  I M A G I N A T I O N.

No comments: